|Writer||Anthony E. Zuiker|
|Original Airdate||May 17, 2004|
|Previous Episode: Rap Sheet|
|Next Episode: Innocent|
When 16-year-old Laura Spellman returns home late from a night of partying to find her parents brutally killed, Horatio promises to catch their killer. Evidence reveals the killer flew in from New York. Determined to keep his promise, Horatio flies to New York.
After sixteen-year-old Laura Spellman finds the brutally slain bodies of her parents, Horatio vows to personally track down the killer and let Laura know she's safe. A scrap of paper with the lettering from a car rental company leads the CSIs to an important clue: the killer flew in from New York. Determined to keep his promise to Laura, Horatio boards a plane to New York, on the tail of Nick Murdoch, whom he believes is the killer.
New York City CSI Mac Taylor is called to the scene of a murder. An undercover officer has been strangled. The man's identity is Nick Murdoch. Horatio is rather surprised when he arrives and finds his suspect dead. Horatio and Mac quickly figure out that the real killer must have stolen Murdoch's ID. The two CSIs discuss jurisdiction, but Mac agrees to share when they discuss the families who need closure.
A partial print at the scene reveals the killer to be an ex-con named Davey Penrod. They track Penrod to his apartment but he manages to escape by jumping off the roof of his building and landing in a dumpster. Horatio finds his plane ticket, with an address written on it. But it's not the Spellman's address—Davy killed the wrong people. His intended target was Michael Hanover, who returned to New York with his wife and son. A visit to the Hanovers' luxury condo proves their luck ran out. Both parents are slain, and the son, Michael Jr. was stabbed but is still alive.
Stella Bonasera takes photos of Michael Jr.'s stab wounds, while medical examiner Sheldon Hawkes tells Mac that Hanover had suffered a heart attack not long before his death. Stage makeup residue on Hanover's clothes leads Horatio and Mac to Renee, Hanover's mistress. However, it seems Renee was also sleeping with Hanover's son. He denies any involvement in his parents' murders, but his stab wounds don't match theirs. He was stabbed with a different knife.
Mac finds the knife in an elevator shaft—along with a tassel. He matches the tassel to the doorman, Kevin Dow. Kevin saved Hanover when he had a heart attack, and Hanover was so grateful that he put Kevin in his will to the tune of one million dollars. Kevin needed the money, and so he hired Penrod to kill Hanover when he went to Miami. When Penrod botched up, he had to kill the couple in New York, and leave a possible suspect to throw the police off the scent: Hanover's son. Penrod is nabbed soon after, and Horatio returns to Miami to tell Laura Spellman she's safe. At her parents' funeral, she sees Horatio smiling at her. She smiles back.
- David Caruso as Horatio Caine
- Emily Procter as Calleigh Duquesne
- Adam Rodríguez as Eric Delko
- Khandi Alexander as Alexx Woods
- Rory Cochrane as Tim Speedle
- Gary Sinise as Mac Taylor
- Melina Kanakaredes as Stella Bonasera
- Hill Harper as Sheldon Hawkes
- Carmine Giovinazzo as Danny Messer
- Vanessa Ferlito as Aiden Burn
- Sofia Milos as Yelina Salas
- Arthur Chi'en as News Reporter
- John Mariano as Davey Penrod
- Madison Arnold as Chaplain
- Joe Wandell as Paramedic
- Richard Shoberg as Michael Hanover, Sr.
- Shelly Carey as News Reporter
- James Hiroyuki Liao as M.E. Assistant
- Katerina Mikailenko as Amy
- Douglas J. Aguirre as NYPD Officer
- Mac Taylor: May I help you?
- Horatio Caine: My name is Caine, Miami CSI. I'm investigating a double murder case.
- Mac Taylor: Detective Mac Taylor. Crime scene unit, first grade. I'm listening.
- Horatio Caine: Two nights ago in Miami, double murder case. A married couple. And I was... I was assuming that Murdoch here was my suspect.
- Mac Taylor: Narco unit. We think he was killed about three days ago. Strangled, probably a belt.
- Horatio Caine: So that could mean that my suspect killed Murdoch, took his identity, went South, did my murders. It could also mean that we're chasing the same man.
- Mac Taylor: You think he's in New York? Well, one way or another, everything's connected. Brought you to me.
- Horatio Caine: Trail ends here. I want first bite at prosecution. As you know, Florida has the death penalty.
- Mac Taylor: So does New York.
- Horatio Caine: Yes, but you have not executed since '76.
- Mac Taylor: Politics.
- Horatio Caine: Mac, I have a sixteen year old girl who is suddenly without both parents. I have promised her peace of mind.
- Mac Taylor: I got an officer's widow who'd like some answers. We got a deal.
- This episode served as the backdoor pilot for the spin-off show CSI: NY.
|CSI:Miami Season 2|
|Blood Brothers • Dead Zone • Hard Time • Death Grip • The Best Defense • Hurricane Anthony • Grand Prix • Big Brother • Bait • Extreme • Complications • Witness to Murder • Blood Moon • Slow Burn • Stalkerazzi • Invasion • Money for Nothing • Wannabe • Deadline • The Oath • Not Landing • Rap Sheet • MIA/NYC NonStop • Innocent|